“Max is an interactive graphical programming environment for music, audio, and media widely used by media artists and music performers around the world. It provides an user interface, timing, communications, and MIDI support. In addition to the endless interaction and automation possibilities of Max, Jitter (Max´s video environment) allows the user to generate and manipulate video and matrix data processing real-time, and is a useful tool for VJ´s, video artists and 3D animators.” (See Max/MSP/Jitter website: www.cycling74.com)
Some examples of works made with Max/MSP/Jitter
The objective of this workshop is to provide the participants with the fundamentals of Jitter video processing techniques. Basic video mixing and effects (brightness, color manipulation, alpha blending), as well as interactive processes like color and movement tracking (computer vision), mouse interaction, or simply how to connect a (web)camera to feed images.
Please register here for the workshop.
This workshop is aimed at designers, artists, students, VJ/DJs, programmers teachers and anybody related to media (art) who are interested in learning the basics of this widely used software. People with knowledge of other programming languages or software will find this workshop useful as a intermediate step to apply their existing knowledge into this new program.
The workshop is given by Beatriz del Saz, a visual artist involved in the creation of 3D videos and installations with Max/Jitter and other programming environments like GLSL shaders and OpenFrameworks. She is particularly interested in the combination of image and music.
Participation & costs
If you’re interested to attend please bring a laptop with Max /Jitter installed. Please note that Max /Jitter is not a free software, however, it is possible to try the demo version (download here) during 30 days.
The cost for the workshop is up to you. You can choose how much the knowledge is worth to you. There will be a honesty box for your cash donations. You can also ask for a bill if you don’t want to pay cash. There is a limit of 20 participants for the workshop so please register here.
t – create toggle button
b – bang
cmd+E or cmd+click switch between locked/edit mode
m – message
i – number
f – float numbers
c – comment
p or double click for the other objects
n – new object
j – create a jitter object
alt+dragging is duplicating
alt+click on object shows help
cmd+m show Max window
cmd+t show font dialog of an object
- there are max objects / jitter objects / msp/dsp objects for signal processing
- clicking or dragging with ‘cmd’ on a control in editmode you can edit the value
- objects: metro, print, umenu (dropdown), pack, pak
- metro 1000 will output a bang every one second
- difference between pack and pak is that pak automatically updates output. pack only when there’s a change on the left inlet.
- max werkt van rechts naar links. je trigger gebruikt (‘t’ object)
- choose object from long list: new object and press on ‘=’ sign left of object box.
- / is always resulting in an integer even with two floats as input. use / 0.1 (or something else) for float output
- cmd+K hide on lock (for objects or wires)
- p object can make subpatch in your patch
- bpatcher can include subpatches from other files
j – create a jitter object
- jit.pwindow for patcher window
- jit.qt.movie for movie file